Mosque not integral to Islam? SC reserves order on plea for hearing by larger bench

0
21

New Delhi,jul 20:
The Supreme Court on Friday reserved its order on a plea by Muslim groups of the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute seeking reconsideration by a larger bench the observations made by it in a 1994 verdict that a mosque was not integral to Islam.
M Siddiq, one of the original litigants of the Ayodhya case who has died and is being represented through his legal heir, had assailed certain findings of the 1994 verdict in the case of M Ismail Faruqui holding that a mosque was not integral to the prayers offered by the followers of Islam.
It was argued by Muslim groups before a special bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and justices Ashok Bhushan and S A Nazeer that the “sweeping” observation of the apex court in the verdict needed to be reconsidered by a five-judge bench as “it had and will have a bearing” on the Babri Masjid-Ram Temple land dispute case.
“The order is reserved,” the bench said and asked the parties to give written submissions by July 24.
Senior advocate Rajeev Dhavan, appearing for legal representative of Siddiq, said the observations that mosques are not essential for practising Islam were made by the apex court without conducting any enquiry or considering the religious texts.
“It was a sweeping observation which requires to be reconsidered before the apex court hears the title dispute,” he said.
“The destruction of Babri mosque was a terrorist act. I will not take back my words. I stand by my words,” Dhavan said.
On July 13, Dhavan had said that the Babri Masjid was destroyed by the “Hindu Taliban” just like the demolition of the Buddha statue by the Taliban at Bamiyan in Afghanistan.
The Uttar Pradesh government had earlier told the top court that some Muslim groups were trying to delay the hearing in the “long-pending” Ayodhya temple-mosque land dispute case by seeking reconsideration of the observation in the 1994 verdict that a mosque was not integral to Islam.
Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Uttar Pradesh government, had said this dispute has been awaiting final adjudication for “almost a century”. He had also said that the issue of the observation was neither taken up by any litigant since 1994 nor in the present appeals which were filed in 2010 after the high court’s verdict.
The state government had said the law decided by this court in the Ismail Farooqi case was “the correct law which does not deserve to be disturbed either by referring it as belatedly prayed for or otherwise”.
Earlier, Hindu groups had opposed the plea of their Muslim counterparts that the 1994 verdict holding that a mosque was not integral to the prayers offered by the followers of Islam be referred to a larger bench.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here